Sunday, July 02, 2006

It's Over






Brazil lost. Brazilians were voiceless. Screams were changed by silence. Millions of Brazilians believed until the last minute that victory was around the corner, but the goal was never reached. We coached the team in front of our TVs, we talked to them, we yelled, but we were never heard... What happened? Theories are everywhere and we will never have an answer for it, but there are some lessons to be learned:

  • Things are not the way they seem to be;
  • Being the favorite to win doesn't mean you will win;
  • Being good is not enough. You need to excel using your emotional power, balance;
  • There's not much you can do by yourself if you are in a team. The team needs to work together;
  • It is not enough to have millions of people rooting for you. You need to believe in yourself, have self-confidence and willingness to do your best.

Well, guys, that's it...Life goes on.

Although I have Italian blood in my veins, my heart is now with the Portuguese, rooting for one Brazilian, "Felipão" Scolari. He never gave up his team and his dream.

How about you? Who do you think will be playing in the Finals and what will the score be?

Carla

17 comments:

Dennis said...

Carlinha:

I understand your feelings perfectly. A friend from México said almost the same thing when his team didn't make it and I felt the same way then.

I actualy thought Brasil was the stronger team and was SURE the Brasileiros would be the winners, but it was not to be. What a disappointment! What a different feeling from "green and yellow" fever!

I agree 100% with all your observations ("Things are not the way they seem to be . . . .")

I also agree that life goes on. What we want and what we believe may be quite different from what actually happens, but that's the way life is.

I'm also rooting for the Portuguese.

At this point, I have no idea who will emerge as the winner. I would like the winner to be Portugal, but anything could happen.

My support goes with "my" team: the Brasileiros!

Dennis

Anonymous said...

Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words! Brazilians did have a feeling of loss. Amazing how we can get involved...

Well, you're right. Sometimes our goals are one and the result is another.

Let's root for the Portuguese now!

Carla

Anonymous said...

Hello my dear Carla,

We haven't met, but believe me, I was thinking of you during the match!!!!

I shouldn't say this too loud and certainly not within earshot of my family (French), but I'm going for Portugal too!!!!

Why??? Because it's great to see an unexpected winner, and no matter what happens, the Champs Elyssée is going to rock with Portuguese guys and gals - they have the 'sun factor' :-))

Moira

Anonymous said...

Dear Moira,

Thanks for the caring words.

We will be rooting for Portugal. We are historically connected and there's Luis Felipe Scolari, Felipão, the Portugal Team Coach, whom I really admire! We would love to see something unexpected happening in the World Cup!

The "Sun Factor" certainly affects the way we are and behave!!!

Carla

Anonymous said...

As Scolari said, we are taking it one step at a time, hoping to win against France. If that comes to be true we will proudly head to Berlin, if not we will still hapilly celebrate the success of the Portuguese team.
May the best team win...hopefully it is Portugal!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Cris,

That's why we LOVE Scolari!

He takes one step at a time and he makes a team feel like a team!

Cheers for Portugal!

Carla

Anonymous said...

Well, our dream didn't last as we had supposed to.
Carla, if it serves as compensation I and the others one hundred eighty six million five hundred ninety nine thousand five hundred and nineteen persons in Brazil (according with IBGE) have the same feelings. I would say that Brazil's soccer team didn't put the brazilian soul and heart in the tip of their soccer shoes. We do know they could do it better.
Life goes on.
And lets root for Portugal, that although not having excellent players, has an excellent team.

Dennis said...

More deep thoughts, Emerson!

I felt the same as you. Brasil had become MY team, too, and I was bitterly disappointed when the match went to France, not "my team." However, I agree with you that "life goes on."

I will join you in rooting for Portugal, which has become my new team!

Best wishes to you! Best wishes to Portugal as well!

Dennis

Illya said...

Hi Carla
I am also sad about the development of the World Cup this year. Of course, it's always sad when you root for a team that doesn't win, but I have been disappointed more than once by the quality of the games.
Even more disappointing is the constellation of the final rounds - all European. I wonder if there is a way to group the countries so that this can't happen.

As for Brasil, today I saw headlines that said the training in Weggis, Switzerland was to blame for the Brazilian final score. ??? -Now I'm sure the Swiss are NOT to blame!!!

Go Portugal!!!
Illya

Bené said...

Hi, Carla;
I'm also rooting for Felipao, and I think we were not doing well.Remember Gana? They played much better.
See you soon.
Bene.

Bené said...

Carla;
I just LOVED the pictures!!!!!
Bene.

Anonymous said...

You can't win them all!

France deserved to win as they played like a real team.
Now it´s our time, We will see if we can avenge you

Anonymous said...

You're right, Miguel! France deserved it and now there are many people rooting for your National team! Isn't it nice?

Illya, about the comments on the training in Switzerland. I don't think they were blaming your fantastic country, at all!!! The comments are related to the tactics and strategies for the games. The players didn't almost train using the whole field, just half of it, and there was always a mix of them. They were never sure who would start the game. Wasn't it what they were referring to?

Bené, I'm glad you loved the pictures. Hope to see you this week.

Beijos to all,
Carla

Teresa Almeida d'Eça said...

Dear Carla,
You put things very beautifully and I agree 100% with the lessons learned.
I'm glad we now have so many more millions rooting for Portugal. It sure feels good to have so many "brothers and sisters" at this time.
Felipão/Scolari is absolutely right to take it one step at a time and I do hope we win on Wednesday. If not, we'll still celebrate, as Cristina said, because being among the world's best 4 is a "feat", and our national team and Scolari deserve all our enthusiasm and support one way or the other.
I still can't figure out how I became so enthusiastic about football/soccer international championships ever since the Euro 2004! It must be some "middle-age" mutation!!! ;-)
Beijinhos, Teresa

Berta said...

Dear Carla, her students and friends,

What a colorful and wonderful blog. Not only have you all contributed with excellent pictures but there are very thoughtful messages about lessons learned as well.

Here in Venezuela, many people were rooting for Brazil, Argentina and Ecuador, our South American brothers. I had my eye on Portugal too as my son´s father-in-law is Portughese and has been really excited about making it past the several rounds for the first time in many many years.

I truly enjoy visiting BaW and LwC friends´ sites as you always manage to show us creative, exciting and educational places for all.

Congratulations and I´ll come back here to check on your impressions of the WC 2006 results. ;-)
Cheers, Berta

Anonymous said...

France Played Better.Zidane Is The Man and Henry Is A Goal Machine.Sorry Brazil But You Played Very Bad On The World Cup...

Anonymous said...

Dear Horacio,

There are, indeed, as many Brazilians as Emerson mentioned! Amazing, isn't it? Everybody was hopeful, even though Brazil didn't show its best soccer... We lost and now there are millions rooting for Portugal and some others rooting for Italy and France. Who knows what will happen now...

Neivaldo, you are right. France was much better!!!

Berta, it was great to know what is happening in Venezuela! It seems that we have a big fan club, there, as I learned from Doris.
Thanks for checking what we are doing and interacting with us.

Teresa, Portugal and Felipão have a huge Brazilian fan club!!! Let's see what happens today!

Miguel, we are rooting for you with the same energy Scolari has shown to the world!

Carla