Sunday, June 18, 2006

One More Game!


Both teams wear the same uniform colors. They share the same feelings of anticipation and willingness to show their best game to the world. In the midst of expectation, we root for our teams, but the preparation period before the game is part of the World Cup rituals. In my house, the kids asked for a yellow, green, blue and white breakfast to send good vibes to our players. That's what they got! Brazil against Australia? What will the score be? Nobody knows. Results are unpredictable. Anything can happen...

How about you? How do you get ready for your national team games?

Carla

9 comments:

SUSAN BURG said...

nice using bubbleshare in a blog...I must try it!!

hugs, susan now in Florida

Teresa Almeida d'Eça said...

Carla, what a cute idea for the Sunday family breakfast on Brazil game day! Your boys are sooooo adorable! :-)
I just love the life that these Bubbleshare presentations add to blogs.
I hope my students want to pay you and your students a visit tomorrow.
Hugs, Teresa

Rita Zeinstejer said...

Hi, Carla! Congrats on your idea!
Here in Argentina "football" (not soccer, same as there)during the World Cup is a "must see". The day our team plays, Rosario, the city I live in, is dead. No one can be seen outside, no cars, nobody in the few shops that have opened their doors. In fact, as an anecdote, let me tell you what I read in the newspaper the day after the last match: "Big deal! A lady's shop offered 30 % discount to customers purchasing during the match..." Needless to say, the shop was crowded with women!!

Jokes aside, at the time of the World Cup there's nothing else to talk about anywhere. Imagine when goals are scored!

To tell you the truth, football is not my cup of tea, at all. Sorry about being so honest. But I know I am the odd one out...:-(

Thank you for leaving such lovely comment on my students' podomatic, they'll love it!

A hug from Argentina, with my best wishes for Brazil !

Rita

Teresa Almeida d'Eça said...

Good morning from Portugal!
How are you?
The colors of the pancakes are in!!!
Portugal will be champions!!! ;-)
We like Portugal and Brazil in the final!
We have two Brazilian students in our class: Thayná (Itaúna) and Higor (Bahia).
Bye, everyone! See you in the final!!!!!!
Hugs from 5D

Anonymous said...

Dear friends,

Thanks for all your contributions. It's great to know your impressions on such a popular topic for the Brazilians.

Rita, just like in Argentina, Brasilia stops to watch the games and we get all set to celebrate afterwards. Rita, as you can see on this blog, not every person is a fan of soccer or watching it during the World Cup. I generally don't watch soccer games, but when the World Cup starts, I connect!!!

Teresa and my dearest friends from Portugal,

Today I was very happy when I saw your message on our blog!

You said that you wanted Brazil x Portugal in the finals... I don't!!! I love both teams and Felipão and I wouldn't like to see one against the other.

Susan, Bubbleshare is very user-friendly and it enlivens our writing, making our blog more colorful!

Beijos and Brazilian Cheers!

Carla

Anonymous said...

Hi!I'm one of Rita's students, from rosario.It is amazing how an entire nation can be paralized by a football match. I personally enjoy watching the world cup macthes, and not only the ones argentina plays, I often find myself watching matches between countries which I may not even know they existed until then.
It is a strange thing, because I'm not a football fan but i think a world cup is not only about football. Is is an opportunity for people to escape their everyday rutines, to feel proud about their countries, forget about their problems and share a feling with friends , family, or anyone who happens to be around.
however, i don't think it is the best thing for people to stop living their lives because of a football match, although it may be a great opportunity to get together with some friends and have a good time.

Anonymous said...

Dear Júlia,

I totally agree with you and I have the same feelings towards the World Cup. I also watch other team's games, elect my favorites and root for them. Generally I'm for the countries that are economically weak... I don't know... Maybe this is a way to make its people happier, at least, for some days!

Brazil really stops to watch the games, but once every four year, I think it's OK! Today we'll have one more game. Let's see what happens. Japan's coach, Zico, was a very popular Brazilian player!

Hope to know more about your impressions on the subject and hoping not to play against Argentinga, a very strong team!!!

Carla

Cristina Costa said...

Yes. We do get ready to the national team games. We get together in a coffee shop, a restaurant or even on one of those places around LIsbon, where the match is broadcast. It is always great fun!

Anonymous said...

Well, it seems, Cris, that we really have the same traditions!!!

Carla